Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Island Indulgence

Aloha! Have you ever dived into a dish that was so incredibly tasty you wouldn't mind flying hundreds or even thousands of miles for just one bite? Not that this was today's guest blogger's mission but that is just how good Hula Pie is. One of my favorite people, Laura (you might remember her from earlier last month--three words: pecan caramel cake), makes sure to chow down on this island treat every time she cruises on over to Maui and she's sharing her experience with us today. Take it away, Laura!
--------------------------------------

Hula Pie! It’s not only as good as it looks, it’s even better--think mud pie taken to a whole new level.

Once a year I abandon my low-carb regime and indulge in the one dessert definitely worth those extra pounds. If you are an ice cream fan you will love the pint of macadamia nut ice cream that is used in just one slice of this incredible dessert. It is however the one inch thick fudge covering the top of the ice cream that makes my mouth water. And if all that chocolate isn’t enough, there is a thick crust of chocolate cookies lining the bottom of this delicious pie. Just when you thought this fantastic calorie packed goodness couldn’t get any better you’ll be pleased to find out it’s topped with chopped macadamia nuts and covered in whipped cream!

Every time I go to Maui I don’t think about the sun, the beaches or the palm trees, I think about one thing and one thing only, the HULA PIE! The enormous size of this dessert is enough to feed about 3 or 4 people however when I indulge in this tasty treat I take the challenge all on my own. The last night of my trip always consists of dinner at Leilani’s in Kaanapali where I order a Hula Pie for dinner. It is truly a challenge to finish this rich dessert but somehow I manage to devourer it all on my own!

It is in Maui where this creation originated. Kimo's Restaurant holds the rights to the original Hula Pie but this fantastic dessert is found at other TS restaurants around the islands such as Dukes and the Hula Grill. If you are too busy to make the flight on over to Hawaii you can still experience the Hula Pie in all its glory with a visit to Sunnyside in Lake Tahoe, Dukes in Malibu or Huntington Beach or any other TS restaurant in California.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! This cake is fantastic! I would abandon any diet to eat a slice of this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Same here. I'm tempted to experiment and make my own (Californian) Hula Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you attempt and succeed....send a piece my way please! :)

    ReplyDelete