Saturday, August 1, 2009

(Camel) Milk Chocolate

Get ready for some seriously innovative chocolate! Al Nassma, a Dubai-based premium chocolate company is preparing to make its camel milk chocolate available to U.S. consumers within the next few months. Al Nassma’s chocolates are the first in the world to be made of camel milk. This brand new company, founded last October, has a farm filled with 3,000 camels exclusively for milk production and GM Martin Van Almsick says the company aims to produce 100 tons of the premium chocolate a year. Al Nassma plans not only to expand to the U.S. but also Europe, Japan and Australia and there are plans for opening up an online store. Van Almsick told Reuters that Al Nassma aims “to be the Godiva of the Middle East” and apparently if they reach success in the global market a comparison may not be necessary. The chocolates contain no chemicals or preservatives and are laced with local spices, nuts and honey. Besides having five times the amount of vitamin C compared to cow milk, camel milk contains less fat and lactose and more insulin making it more appealing to diabetics and the lactose-intolerant. I’m anticipating trying this new chocolate—how about you?

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Al Nassma

3 comments:

  1. I can say it's divine, I had some in dubai,they are expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, prices aren't listed on their official website but I assumed they are expensive considering the fine quality ingredients...I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just read about it in an online newspaper I think it was the National. I was curious to find out more, so thanks for doing this! I can't wait to try it, I am a huge chocoholic!

    ReplyDelete